Thursday, August 9, 2007

Meanwhile, back in Halifax...


My life since I have returned to Canada has been somewhat hectic. This is a fairly accurate summary of the highlights since my return:

June 14th – Arrived home; 1 week of rest
June 22nd – Attended my not-so-surprise ‘Welcome Home!’ party
June 23rd – Flew to London Heathrow 12 hours later; caught last train to Bristol at 11.30pm; arrived at hotel around 2am
June 24th – Bussed it from Bristol to Bath and from Bath to Limpley Stoke for Aunt Doris’ 90th birthday celebration – Surprise!!
June 26th – Spent the night in Bath with Aunt Jane
June 27th – Trained it back to London, met up with James who was returning from Slovenia
June 28th – Flew back to Halifax
June 29th – Drove to Canso for 3 days of chaotic drinking & the fantabulous Stan Rogers Folk Music Festival
July 2nd – Back to Halifax
July 3rd – Back to Mahone Bay
July 6th – Off to PEI for the Souris Triathlon
July 7th – Drove to Tony River, Pictou County for Jo’s rocking annual cottage party
July 8th – Job Applications, Business Proposal writing, Meeting with Journalism types, catching up with friends, Marketing mentoring, etc.
July 13th – Back to Mahone Bay for cottage party
July 17th – Cousin Clara landed in town; 1st of 3 interviews with Organization X
July 20th – Clara and I head to the bookstore at midnight and manage to bump ourselves to front of line of 200 fans hundred already gathered to get their Harry Potter book
July 21st – Drove to Port Hood, Cape Breton
July 22nd – Finished Port Hood Triathlon and drove back to Halifax
July 23rd – Got the news that my 84 year-old Great-Uncle Klas passed away (he was like a grand-father to us)
July 23rd – My best friend since grade school had her first baby, a boy named Alec
July 24th – 2nd of 3 interviews with Organization X
July 27th – Flew to Montreal and head to Lac Marois for Uncle Klas’ funeral
July 31st – Four chaotic days of celebrating a life well lived and at least 2 very heated family controversies later, back to Halifax
Aug 2nd – 3rd of 3 interviews with Organization X
Aug 3rd – Back to Mahone Bay
Aug 5th – Drove to Bridgetown and back for Bridgetown Triathlon
Aug 10th - To Larry's River for La Festival de Savalette
Aug 14th - Off to Vancouver for Nick's wedding
Aug 25th - Off to Sackville, NB Triathlon
Aug 26th - Halifax Ultimate Finals - Cherubini vs. Spndrift

Coming home has been perhaps even more chaotic than my last few months of travels. In between the above, I have been taking a photography course, writing music, submitting articles to various publications, authoring business plans, exploring new career paths and directions, playing ultimate with one of the best teams in town (Cherubini), researching various municipal petitions, working on several web site projects, re-establishing contact with people everywhere, getting out and catching up with friends, family, and my growing niece, etc. I really have no idea how I’m going to fit a job into my life when one does come along.

For now, I plan to enjoy the beautiful days we have left of this summer, including a lot of time on my bike touring Nova Scotia and visiting our fabulous beaches, some of which have quality (if somewhat cold) surfing. I also have decided that I will actually train for my next triathlon. My body is holding up fine, it is just my ego that is taking a beating.

It turns out that I was wrong about my home town not changing. Even the bums have changed. It is starting to feel like a much more cosmopolitan city, much more diverse than when I was growing up. Lots of new and exciting ethnic restaurants, salons, funky new shops and bars, exciting new bands with energetic and unique sounds (such as the Tom Fun Orchsetra or Carmen Townsend) a much less white population. I am loathe to say that Starbucks (who I used to boycott) has actually livened up downtown a bit. All in all, mostly good changes. On the down side, Nova Scotians aren't as healthy as they could be. It will take some time, but I think the change is in the air.

Halifax has the potential to be such an amazing city. If we can elect a new mayor in the next municipal elections and get some fresh eyes and perspective on local issues, I will think will be a great first step. Next will be tackling the ambiguous and confusing legislation that has lead to so many development disputes, and is the reason why there are so many empty lots in our city centre.

Ok, i promise no more politics. Life is good and I think it’s about to get better!

1 comment:

steve said...

hey, if you doing so many triathlons, how come we never see any results?...it's not like you haven't been invited to the world champs before...he he, keep it busy